Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tales of an Eighth Grade Floozy

One day, after I'd moved out of my ex-husband's house, I went by to get the kids and he loaded my trunk up with books. They have been there for the past TWO YEARS. I know that makes me look completely lazy (and I totally am), but I didn't have anywhere to put them. I didn't want to store them in the garage because they would get moldy, and I didn't have the space to put them anywhere in the apartment. I've pared down the pile a bit over the years by giving books away - I'm like the bookmobile - but there were still A LOT of books in the trunk.

The books have been a hindrance because Saturn, in their infinite wisdom, put the battery of the car in the trunk. My car has been throwing temper tantrums lately and refusing to start, so I've had to move the books around numerous times in order to get to the battery. Since I was taking the car into the shop earlier this week, I thought I should probably empty it out. So, you know, I did. (They're in the garage growing mold as I type.)

The best part is that I found my Judy Blume diary from 1984 and 1985 when I was thirteen-years-old. Man, was I boy crazy! (Things really haven't changed much on that front.) I thought I would share some the entries with you. At the very least, you'll be able to see that my writing has, thankfully, improved over the years. I'll post them as they were written - spelling and grammatical errors included - with present day comments in parentheses.

October 12, 1984

Today I went to school and Travis (my boyfriend from the year before) was hanging all over Emily as usual, and he told me he asked her to homecoming, I am so depressed! I love him sooooo much!!! Well, maybe I'll go after Chad. He's fine! (Ah. So fickle.)

October 13, 1984

Today was Jr. High Homecoming. The pep rally was pretty fun I guess. I don't like Brian anymore. I think I like Chris. I hope not. (What happened to Travis? And Chad? Sheesh.) Chris goes your prude and I go no I'm not and Chris and Steve go well let's go prove it. And I go but your going with Julie and Tiffany and they go I don't care. Steve goes well guess that proves it she's prude. Amy (my next door neighbor and best friend who was like the sister I never had) is acting so stuck-up lately. After the game Steve goes when I break up with Tiffany I'll give you a chance to prove your not prude. I hope I get too.

October 14, 1984

Today was High School Homecoming it was fun. Me and Julie are friends and so are me and Tammy. (A little piece of me is dying by showing you how poor my grammar was back then. And, of course, I have no idea who Julie and Tammy are or why it mattered that we were friends. You can see that the friendships were everlasting.) Chris won't leave me alone so I slapped him across the face and kicked him so he's not talking to me. (Gosh. I wonder why he wouldn't talk to me after that.) Kim came up to me and goes I heard you like Chad and I said no I don't. (He was SO two days ago!) She goes well you better stay away from him or else. (Or else!)


January 8, 1985

Joe asked me today! (Asked me?! What the hell does that mean?) I was so happy! I really like him alot!

January 9, 1985

Still going with Joe, we haven't kissed yet! Cuz he's in band and he can't get over to the school after band or he'll miss his bus. I can't wait til tomorrow! I'm staying after school and so's he! It's gonna be fun! Well gotta cruise! (As you can see, my love of the exclamation point hasn't waned.)

January 10, 1985

Joe broke up with me and also broke his arm. (Serves him right, the bastard.) Amy found out Stephen is going with a girl from Hempstead. Travis kept trying to make me jealous. Today really sucked.

January 11, 1985

Found out that Joe wants to mess around. He wasn't at school. Connie makes me so mad. (Who the eff is Connie?) Amy broke up with Stephen.

January 12, 1985

It snowed today! I made a tiny snowman. It was really cold outside! (If I remember correctly, we got one inch of snow. Hence the tiny snowman. This was my last entry. )


Junior high is, as Abrasaint would say, so dramatical!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How funny. I like how only one day after Joe asked you, you sounded like it was a big deal that you were still with him. You two lasted a whole two days! Woohoo!