Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Now With Disclaimers!

I'm finally starting to feel human again. A weekend of binge drinking*, because that's what it truly was, is much harder to recuperate from when you're 36 versus, say, 21. I have to remember that I'm not a sorority girl anymore. No ... I wasn't ever a sorority girl. That's it! I'm just living out my lifelong dream of partying like a sorority girl. Or is that a rock star? Whatever the case, I need to cut that shit out. I'm too old. And too poor.

I was going to write a post tonight about being thought of as "cool" and how that's not always such a great thing, but then I was sidetracked by a link that I got via email today. This is a link to an Ebay auction by a woman who has way more of a sense of humor than I would have if I had six kids. There are people who can parent six kids (i.e. her) and there are people who can't (i.e. me). After reading the Ebay auction and her blog (both highly recommended), it's now too late for me write anything. We all know that I can't write anything short, and I need one more decent night's sleep to get myself back up to speed.

Instead I'm going to peer in at my sleeping children - my sweet, beautiful children - and thank God that I don't have six kids.

*I feel the need to let you know that my children were with their father this weekend. I obviously don't binge drink, or drink at all actually, when I have the kids. It's also very rare that I drink to excess. As the child of an alcoholic, I'm quite conscious of my alcohol intake.

3 comments:

pinky pinkerson said...

I looked at that woman's blog to reassure myself that I can handle *one* baby if other people can handle six kids!

She's awfully defensive when someone writes in challenging her. I'm surprised she bothers to respond to dissenting opinions.

Anonymous said...

You're right, but I also think she's probably completely overwhelmed by the attention she's received. Since she posted that auction, she went from very few readers of her two-month-old blog, to getting a book deal, and a jillion hits on her blog.

We all read "Dooce," right? If so, you've read her hate mail. People feel completely okay with saying pretty awful negative things to anonymous people from behind their anonymous email address. And she probably has no idea how to handle all of the negative attention that she never considered she would get when she posted her Ebay auction.

Or something like that. If this made sense, I'll be amazed. I'm starving, and thus quite distracted by the rumbling from my tummy.

pinky pinkerson said...

heh - I don't read Dooce :-)

call me a cynic, but I'm surprised that the auction wasn't a fake. Most auctions with a "story" are.